Question

Bulk metadata question

• 10 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Although I have tried numerous times to use the bulk metadata feature, I cannot figure out what I’m doing wrong. I follow the directions about setting up the function for a folder. I wait a day. Then I add one field as a bulk edit, then I wait one day for the changes to take effect, and they don’t. It leads me to wonder if the function has never been successful in setting itself up. It would be great to get some kind of notification so that I know if if the bulk editing function has correctly been set up. If it’s a background job, does it still run even if I log out of Preservica Starter?

Also, this function only seems to be useful when you are finished adding assets to a folder, but I can’t be sure I’m ever finished. I realize I could run this function again at some point, but what if I want more than one field in said field. With Dublin Core, most fields are repeatable, so if I have a second or third subject, those other subjects will disappear. I find thinking about having only ONE subject a bit limiting. 

I can’t help but feel that I’m missing something basic in getting the bulk metadata function to work.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hello Joan,

Thanks for raising this and am happy to help. I will message you to arrange a screenshare session so I can see what you are doing.

Re your suggestion about multiple fields, this isn’t something we have in Starter at the moment, so I’d suggest posting this on the Product Ideas page so it can be added to the product roadmap for consideration.

Thanks

Paul

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’ve made the suggestion about the need for separate repeatable fields previously in Product Ideas.