Question

Moving .pdf files within Preservica

• 8 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

I have uploaded folders containing files to Preservica that are of many different topics. As I go through them, I would like to send them to other spaces in my collection. So far the only way I have found to do this is to drag and drop to the sidebar. This is not very accurate, and files end up lost. Is there an easy way to do this, or does sorting need to happen outside of Preservica Starter?

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I agree! This is/has been a problem for me, too with photographs. I’m saving the best of our institutional photos that we currently have in Flickr. I cherry pick the highlights and have put them into a Flickr folder in Preservica. At some point, I would like to put them, more appropriately with the offices or events on campus that align with archival provenance/best practice. But dragging those folders around is a precarious business. I would love to see another process to accomplish this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

In the paid-for product, we can also drag and drop but before it moves things, it displays a message which says where things are about to be moved to, and asks for a confirmation - so that you can avoid inadvertently moving them to a wrong location.

In addition, we can right-click on the thing we want to move and select ‘change archival structure’  from a menu - that allows us to select precisely the folder we want it move to.

This functionality may not be available to you as the free version has limited features.