Solved

Ingesting YouTube Channels

• 30 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

As more meetings being recorded and streamed to Youtube has anyone heard if Youtube integration is on Preservica’s development roadmap?

icon

Best answer by jack 1 December 2021, 10:41

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m not sure about formal support coming through the road map, but depending on your command line wizarding skills, there are software packages that will allow you to download videos, making them available to be ingested to Preservica like any other video content.  Of course, this only deals with the video content itself and not surrounding context like comments etc.

One such application I have used in the past is youtube-dl, which at it’s simplest, will just download a video, but also has options for  pulling subtitles/closed captions and for dealing with playlists, including being able to filter items from a playlist by number of views and date. Filtering by date makes it handy as a way to periodically get newer items added to a playlist.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you Jack. I have developed a script to download the YouTube transcripts so I might look into adding video to it.