Question

Dublin Core Description Field Character Limit

• 14 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi all!

Does anyone know what the character limit is for the Dublin Core Description Field? I tried adding a thesis abstract into that field but kept getting error messages. Once I cut it down to around 850 characters (including spaces) it finally accepted the content (abstract originally 1477 characters).

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi Amy,

The theoretical limit I think is 65000+ characters and I have tested it to 10000 without any problems. It may be that there was some sort of special character that was causing the problem as opposed to a character limit, do you remember what the error message was?

Thanks

Badge

Thanks Steve! Good to know. I don’t remember exactly what the error message was unfortunately (it was a very busy day). However, I tried again today and everything worked fine. Since I was copying and pasting from another document provided by the thesis author, this time I copied the abstract from the original document and pasted it “text only” into Microsoft Word (using Paste Special) to clear out any possible hidden issues in the original text. When I copied and pasted the plain text from Word to the Preservica description field, everything worked fine. I’m guessing it was something hidden in the original text provided by the author that was causing issues (likely an odd character or format).

Thanks!