Question

Downloading TIFF Files

Badge +6

Hi Everyone,

I have a quantity of building plans that I have uploaded into Preservica as TIFFs.  As you can imagine, they are pretty large files.  I wanted to download one of them and when I went to download the True Original, I got a Notepad file filled with random characters.  I need to know that I can get to these files whenever I need them so this is not ideal.  Any advice for a confused archivist?

Thanks!

Ashley

24 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Ashley, can you see the file extension? What is it? Is it possible that your computer somehow defaults to opening TIFF with Notepad?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Ashley,

It sounds like Notepad could be set up as the default application for TIF/TIFF extensions on your computer. Right-click on the downloaded file and have a look at which application is selected in the ‘open with’ option. If it is Notepad, you will need to change the default application for that extension to an image viewer (Photos, Paint, XnView, whichever you use) . If it isn’t Notepad, then at least we are one step closer to figuring out what’s going on.

Gareth

Badge +6

Thanks so much for these great replies!  I appreciate them.

I checked and my default .tif or .tiff viewer is IrfanView, which is actually what I want.  It’s the only viewer I have found that will show me more than the first page of my large .tif files.  When I tried the “Open With” option, it did not list IrfanView as a choice.

Trying to come up with some explanation but still confused.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@alarge No worries. Did you manage to confirm if the downloaded file is actually TIFF?

Badge +6

Hi Libor,

Good question.  When I’m looking at the metadata for the asset, there is an option at the top that says “Preservation History.”  When I click on that, it shows all of the iterations of the asset as it has gone through the preservation process.  I downloaded the “true Original,” which is supposed to be a TIFF.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4

My guess is that the file is a TIFF, and Preservica identified it as such, but it doesn’t have a .tif extension - either the bitstream in Preservica doesn’t have an extension, or the way you’re downloading it is losing it somehow.

Badge +6

That makes sense to me.  And upon checking I found that that is exactly the problem.  The “true Original” doesn’t seem to have a file extension, while the “Original” has filename.jpg attached to it.  I suppose I can just weigh the benefits of downloading a .jpg vs. the true original .tif…  In the end, though, I would like the TIFF available.  Will have to take this up with the powers that be.  Thank you, everyone, for your help!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@alarge Do you have a Mac or PC? On a Mac you can simply add the file extension—so type .tiff to the end of the file—and the computer will recognize it. Same with JPGs, etc. So if I download an image called “MyDog” and it has no extension and my Mac doesn’t know how to open it, I simply type “.jpg” to the end. It confirms I want to change the extension, and there I have it, it opens as a JPG. Maybe the same thing would work for you? Not sure about Windows, but Google tells me in Windows, you can right-click and choose “rename file.” I don’t have Windows, though, so I can’t test it out for you!

Kate

Badge +6

Hi Kate-

Thanks for your message.  I have a PC, running Windows.  I downloaded the file, saved it, and attempted the right click-rename function, to no avail.  Kind of stumped, but there must be a solution (I hope).

Thanks so much!

Ashley

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@alarge  interesting. Did it give you any sort of error message? This video demonstrates changing the file type, but again, I don’t have a Windows machine, so I can’t test it out. If it’s genuinely the wrong file type--not readable as a TIFF--then I assume it won’t work.

Kate

Userlevel 4

By default Windows Explorer “helpfully” hides file extensions. I always turn this option off immediately, being a technical person who likes to see what’s actually going on. That might be getting in the way. You can rename it from the command line (rename xyz xyz.tif) if you can’t make Explorer do it.

It is also interesting how you got that content into Preservica without a file extension being recorded (or is it recorded but not preserved in that download?), maybe something to chase down in a support ticket.

Badge +6

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help.  I did try the command line, using “rename filename filename.tif” but got nowhere, as it kept telling me that it could not find the file, even though it was saved on my desktop and I made sure to spell the extensive filename correctly.

Now, I have tried downloading the Orignal (not true Original) version (.jpg) and I get the file and can view it, but it is only the first page of the plan.  This is a problem for me.

It seems that the extension must have been recorded when the asset was ingested as the Advanced Information in the Preservation History states the the Family Group is tiff or jpeg respectively.  

I had asked Preservica about viewing TIFFs on the public portal, as the viewer would only show the first page of the plan.  Basically, they said that things weren’t set up for TIFFs that large.  I’m guessing that this is the same problem here, however I don’t know why the .jpg file is misbehaving. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing in Preservica for original, true original etc?

Badge +6

Hi Jack,

Here ya go.

It’s attached.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Instead of trying to rename the file, you could try to forcibly open it with IrfanView. In Windows, if you right-click the file (whatever its name happens to be), you should get an Open with option:

and selecting that should open a list of programs:

if you’re lucky, IrfanView is on the list, if you’re not, scroll down to the very bottom and you should see:

That should give you a navigation window that you should be able to use to point to where IrfanView is installed (C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe for me).

If you still can’t open it in IrfanView after that, the next thing to check would be that the file downloaded correctly, I would first check the file size on your PC matches what Preservica says, next thing would be to generate a SHA-1 checksum of the file on your PC, which should match the Checksum in the Advanced Information in Preservica. You might need to install a tool for generating such checksums, or the following powershell command should work, e.g.

Get-FileHash C:\Users\user1\Downloads\{filename} -Algorithm SHA1

Badge +6

Hi Jack,

Hope you’re having a good day.  I did as you suggested, although I couldn’t get the powershell to do as I asked (probably because the last time I used it was in grad school a hundred years ago).  I found an SHA1 hash generator online and came up with this:

Preservica Hash:  cfeacd2b22e36f4886b0e53ced9099814d1c8c01

Online Hash:  ca68cd02a54a83a275d7ec66e51228afd058e928

If in fact the online hash is valid, they are obviously very different.  I also checked the file size.  The Preservica file is 42.99 MB and the download is 38.5 MB. 

Thanks!

Ashley 

Badge +6

Oh, I also forgot to say that I did try the “Open With” option to no avail.  I’ve also tried saving as a different type of file and adding the .tif file extension.

Badge +6

Got the command prompt to work:

SHA1 Hash: F426E336B8CDF56ABDB45F20778720F193E45740

Preservica: f426e336b8cdf56abdb45f20778720f193e45740

They are the same.  Weird?

Badge +6

Hi Steve,

Don't even worry about it - I didn't notice. Lol!

A couple of things:

When the files leave my computer, so to speak, they are TIFF files. They have the proper extension and the file type is listed as "TIF File." I'm not sure what else to do about it.

I have changed the file extension a couple of ways, including the way you suggest, and the computer is still reading it as a Text Document.

I opened the file, with the new file extension, from within IrfanView (as the Open With option doesn't produce IrfanView on its list of choices). I get this:

I feel like I might being going nuts! Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ashley

Badge +6

There were copied and pasted images in there...

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Ashley,

You have three hashes listed in your previous response:

cfeacd2b22e36f4886b0e53ced9099814d1c8c01

ca68cd02a54a83a275d7ec66e51228afd058e928

f426e336b8cdf56abdb45f20778720f193e45740

so, I’m slightly confused as to which hash is which. Comparing the hash you generate of the downloaded file with the hash Preservica has should tell us whether what you downloaded is the same as the system ingested.

Do you by any chance have the original copy of the file? If you can get a hash from that then we’ll have a “ground truth” for what it should be.

Thanks

Jack

Badge +6

Hi Jack,

Here is the hash for the original file:   CFEACD2B22E36F4886B0E53CED9099814D1C8C01

Here is the hash that is listed in Preservica: cfeacd2b22e36f4886b0e53ced9099814d1c8c01

Here is the hash of the downloaded .txt file:  CFEACD2B22E36F4886B0E53CED9099814D1C8C01

Sorry for the confusion!

Ashley

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Ashley,

That they all match is a good thing, it means the file in Preservica is exactly what you sent, and you downloaded the file exactly as it was stored.

This means that the file you downloaded is identical to the original, so anything, like IrfanView, that was capable of opening and displaying the original should be fine with the downloaded copy too. I’m slightly stumped as to why it wouldn’t.

Badge +6

Hi Jack,

Yeah, me too…  I’m talking this morning with Steve Crawford to see what’s happening.   

I appreciate your help!  Thanks so much for taking the time-

Ashley