How to quickly upload metadata and files in bulk

• 13 January 2022
  • 10 replies
How to quickly upload metadata and files in bulk
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Quick reference guide to uploading a folder with metadata 

In this ‘How-to guide’ I describe the steps to bulk upload metadata alongside your folders and files in Starter. This feature is available to all Starter users - view the guide here.

Easy to follow video training

Here’s a short training video that’s easy to follow along as I walk you through the process of preparing and uploading metadata and files in bulk.

Top-tips when completing your metadata template

This sample template includes 8 top-tips to consider when completing your template ready for upload into Starter. (example for DC)

10 replies

I am a Starter user. When I click on the ADD drop-down menu, I am not presented with options to download a metadata template, or upload a folder with metadata. Please could you help. Thanks. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hello Anita,

This feature is being rolled out to all Starter users today so please try again a bit later. If you are still not seeing it tomorrow morning please let me know.

Thanks

Paul

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Anita. The brand new feature has only just been launched today and each Starter region is being rolled out through the day. If you log on tomorrow morning you should see the option to upload a folder with metadata under the ‘Add’ button :grinning: .

Many thanks for your prompt response. I look forward very much to trying out this new feature. Anita.

Badge +1

Does this tool allow you to upload and apply metadata to files in subfolders? I tried to do so but have so far only been able to get it to recognize files and corresponding metadata when I upload in a flat file structure. I WILL upload folder by folder if I have to, though I would prefer not to if possible.

Thanks,

Brad

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Brad,

You should be able to upload metadata in a single csv file that then corresponds to files in multiple folders, providing the filenames match exactly. You will likely get multiple warnings that there is no metadata at the folder level though but this can be ignored.

Thanks

Paul

Badge +1

Testing this utility out, it works as described on the tin. However, I do want to be able to set the main Metadata properties fields (Name and Description), and importing folders of files using either Dublin Core or Mods templates only fill in their metadata. 

Is there a way to populate the Title and Description fields for the asset other than typing them in individually for each asset?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @cgardner,

Thanks for the question. The Title field for an asset is automatically derived from the asset (file) name, and the Description fields is an optional field. There isn’t currently an automated or bulk process that can update these fields, so yes, typing is the only method. If you would like this to become a new feature, please submit the idea here .

I hope this answers your question. 

Thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul Clark,

I have a super specific question about adding folder level metadata… What does a folder title need to look like in order to add metadata to it? The top tips on the template attached to this post says “If you are also uploading folders, you can add them into the filename column, you ill also need to add the name of the parent folder.” 

So, would I need to write “Stephanie Brown Series/Administrative Work”? Is there a specific format? 

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hello Kendall,

You simply just enter the exact name of the folder that the metadata applies to in the file or folder name cell, any additional descriptive metadata as well, and repeat for any folders or sub-folders in the structure being uploaded. You don’t need to have the top-level folder name preceding any sub-folder name.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Paul