[Slides] Roundtable Session - New Portal

• 7 September 2022
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

See the slides from this roundtable discussion with Preservica’s Kate Broadfield (Product Manager). During this session, Kate reviewed the latest updates to the Preservica portal, including a look at customization, enhanced search, and more.

@kate.broadfield

4 replies

Hi All,

It was terrific to meet so many of you at the Boston User Group!

Heads up, we have shared your plethora of questions with Portal Product Manager, @laura.cook and we will post the answers as soon as feasible!

Kind regards

Kate

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello all,

Thank you for your questions from the roundtable session with @kate.broadfield at the Boston Group.

I have included answers to some of the questions below.

Please, if you do have other questions, feel free to raise them directly in the online access portal group.

Many thanks,

Laura

Question

Answer

How do I migrate from my old portal to the new one? 

There will be guidance on this in the future.

Can I import fonts? 

No not currently, though I encourage raising this as a ‘product idea’ under the Product Ideas section.

Will I have the ability to use style sheets already being used? 

No, the new portal can be styled using the options on the ‘Style my portal’ tab. 

Will the new portal retain the same search functionality as current U/A e.g. Boolean search?

The new portal has an advanced search feature. This allows portal visitors to search against specific metadata fields. You can also specify if the value you enter must or must not be contained in the search results. Multiple filters can be added to advanced searches.

Can you leverage the new portal to help bring in new donors? 

This is a great idea and we can follow this up internally.

Right now, you could share the new public portal with potential donors and this may encourage them to contribute.

Can you allow an asset to be viewed and not downloaded? e.g. Videos are not blocked (this is copyright issue) 

Not right now, but we do have it on our roadmap to address control of download.

Feature request - opportunities for user engagement on public portal via comments, button to share on social media, contact us form within portal (Ability to contact archive regarding photo to provide information) 

We encourage using Product Ideas so other users can vote on each suggestion. Along with the request, it is always useful if you include information on what problem you are trying to solve.

There is already a button for social sharing and contact us form. 

Will load speed be improved? Performance and page load improvements needed 

The new portal is built on modern react technology, results may vary by content types.

Can I add more social media links or custom URLs? 

Currently, we only support social sharing across Facebook, Twitter and email. If there are other social platforms that we want to add, then that could be raised as a Product Idea on Community Hub.

There will be the ability to add a custom url, yes.

Option to sort content other than alphabetically? What are other sort options? 

Content can be sorted alphabetically, by date or description.

Can you see grid versus list?

There is a tile view and a list view.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @kate.broadfield , @laura.cook : I thought the new portal was launching this month, but I haven’t received any info about it nor how to begin our transition. We’re eager to test the new portal and see if it meets our needs since the existing portal does not. Is the launch still scheduled for this month, and when should we expect to see updates about this? The Fenway Library Organization Preservica group is meeting this month, and I’d love if we had information to share about this launch. I’m very much looking forward to a smoother user experience and better search functionality on the new version.

If I missed a notice or training session, please point me in the right direction! Thanks so much for the updates. 

Best,

Kate S.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Here’s a question that was not answerable in a ticket, so Anthony suggested posting here.

Is anyone using a custom URL for their user access portal? My question is:

What happens to the custom URL when the new UA launches?

Per Anthony in the ticket, the current (Jan. 2023) answer is:

At this time we do not yet have a definitive answer for how these instances will be handled but it is on the roadmap for discussion.

Would love an update here when it’s resolved.

Best,

kate s.